Somali Pirates Hijack Two Ships With 22 Indians Aboard
NEW DELHI/MOGADISHU-The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on August 21 confirmed that 22 Indian citizens are on board two foreign-flagged vessels that have reportedly been hijacked by Somali pirates, and said all the Indians are safe.
The Eritrea-flagged oil products tanker MT Sibu 1, carrying 20 crew members, including 16 Indians, one Syrian, one Sudanese and one Iraqi, was reportedly hijacked on August 20 by six armed pirates in the Gulf of Aden, roughly 30 nautical miles off the coast of Yemen.
Another vessel, MV Lutuf, with 10 sailors on board, including six Indians, was seized off the coast of Somalia’s Puntland region.
“These are two ships flagged abroad, meaning they are flying the flag of another country. There are 22 Indian citizens on board- 16 on one ship and six on the other. What we have learnt so far is that all 22 of our citizens on board are safe. We are in touch with the relevant authorities on this matter so that we can ensure the safety and well-being of our people,” MEA spokesperson said.
Meanwhile, the European Union’s anti-piracy naval force confirmed on August 21 that it had launched an investigation into the hijacking of MT Sibu 1 and was monitoring the vessel.
According to the EU Naval Force’s Operation Atalanta, the tanker initially broadcast a distress call on VHF Channel 16, reporting that an unauthorized vessel was approaching while it was sailing westward.
The EU anti-piracy force said the six armed individuals reportedly boarded the tanker, took control of the vessel and redirected it toward Somalia.
Piracy along busy shipping lanes in the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean has driven up insurance costs, forced some shipowners to bypass the Suez Canal in favor of routes around South Africa and prompted naval warship deployments to the region. (IANS)