Indian Man Charged After Assaulting Teens On Flight From Chicago
India-West News Desk
BOSTON, MA – An Indian has been charged in connection with a mid-air assault on two teenage passengers aboard a Lufthansa flight from Chicago to Frankfurt, prompting the aircraft’s diversion to Boston.
Officials said Usiripalli had previously entered the United States on a student visa and was most recently enrolled in a master’s program in biblical studies. He currently has no lawful status in the country.
According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts, 28-year-old Praneeth Kumar Usiripalli was arrested on October 25, and charged in federal court with one count of assault with a dangerous weapon with intent to do bodily harm.
Court documents state that following the in-flight meal service, Usiripalli allegedly attacked two 17-year-old male passengers seated near him. One victim, identified as Minor A, was reportedly struck in the clavicle with a metal fork while asleep. Usiripalli then allegedly lunged at Minor B, seated beside Minor A, and stabbed him in the back of the head with the same utensil, causing a laceration.
When crew members intervened, Usiripalli allegedly made a gun gesture with his hand, placed it in his mouth, and mimed pulling the trigger before slapping a female passenger and attempting to strike a crew member, the affidavit said.
Due to the violent disturbance, Lufthansa Flight 431 was diverted to Boston Logan International Airport, where Usiripalli was immediately taken into custody by law enforcement authorities.
The charge carries a potential sentence of up to 10 years in prison, three years of supervised release, and a fine of up to $250,000, as outlined by federal sentencing statutes.
pemba
/
The guy should be punished for attempted murder,
October 29, 2025Dr. Sardul Singh Minhas
/
Revealed your identity, Pemba. You have been making distasteful comments with anti-india bias. Don’t hide behind an acronym.
October 29, 2025