HomeCommunityIndian Teen’s Family Moves To Sue New York For $105 Million Over Carriage Death

Indian Teen’s Family Moves To Sue New York For $105 Million Over Carriage Death

Indian Teen’s Family Moves To Sue New York For $105 Million Over Carriage Death

Indian Teen’s Family Moves To Sue New York For $105 Million Over Carriage Death

NEW YORK, NY-The family of teenager Romanch Mahajan, who was killed after the horse pulling their carriage bolted in June 2025, has initiated legal proceedings demanding $105 million in compensation from the New York City government.

The family claims in a notice filed with the city that stray electricity in Central Park spooked the horse and that the accident was the result of negligence by the city government.

Mahajan’s family was visiting New York to celebrate his high school graduation when they took a horse carriage ride in Central Park on June 17, 2025. When the carriage driver got out to take a picture, the horse suddenly bolted, throwing Mahajan’s mother, Priya, off the vehicle.

Mahajan dove after her in an attempt to save her but hit his head on the ground and died from his injuries.

The family filed notices against the city and four of its departments, alleging that their negligence caused the accident. They allege that stray voltage, among other factors, “caused, precipitated, contributed to and/or was a substantial factor” in causing the horse to bolt.

The allegation about stray electricity echoes a claim made by the Transport Workers Union, which represents carriage driver Ertan Gokdepe. Alexander Kemp, vice president of the union’s local unit, defended Gokdepe last month, saying: “Blue-collar carriage drivers should not be punished for an unforeseeable hazard caused by flaws in the city’s power grid.”

Mahajan was from Pathankot, and had just graduated high school.

His death has since given momentum to a campaign to ban horse-drawn carriages in New York City. The proposed ban, named the Romanch Mahajan Bill in his memory, is expected to come up for a City Council vote soon, with supporters saying it has majority support to pass.

Mahajan’s father, Deepak Mahajan, made an emotional appeal to the City Council through a video link last month, urging it to ban horse-drawn carriages. “A young boy came to America full of dreams and left us far too soon,” he said.

“This was not an unpredictable accident,” he said. “It was a safety violation, a system’s failure to protect the people who visit our city, your city, and everyone responsible has admitted the driver should never have left that carriage.” (IANS)

Share With:
No Comments

Leave A Comment