No Traction for Narendra Modi in South: Survey
NEW DELHI, (IANS) – Despite the best efforts of strategists, both Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his party the BJP don’t seem to have captured the imagination of voters in most parts of southern India, according to an IANS-CVoter survey.
This is in sharp contrast to west, east, central, and north India where Narendra Modi towers over other rivals like a colossus.
This was revealed during an exclusive survey conducted by CVoter on behalf of IANS in the four states — Assam, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, and Kerala — and the Union Territory of Puducherry, where Assembly elections were held in 2021.
A series of questions covering a wide range of issues were asked during the survey to gauge the current mood of the voters in these four states and one UT.
In West Bengal, where the BJP lost the Assembly elections badly against the Trinamool Congress led by Mamata Bannerjee, more than 33 percent of the respondents said they were very much satisfied with Modi’s performance as the Prime Minister, while another 32 percent said they were “satisfied to some extent”. About 34 percent said they were not at all satisfied with PM Modi.
In BJP-ruled Assam, about 43 percent of the respondents said they were very satisfied with his performance while 21 percent said they were not satisfied at all.
In the same survey, close to 18 percent of the respondents said they were not satisfied at all with the performance of Himanta Biswa Sarma as the Chief Minister.
But the story is different down south.
In Kerala, while 34 percent of the respondents were very satisfied with Modis’ performance, more than 30 percent of the respondents were not satisfied at all.
It was even worse in Tamil Nadu where just 17 percent of the respondents were very satisfied with Modi’s performance as the Prime Minister, while more than 40 percent were not satisfied at all.
Clearly, as the 2024 Lok Sabha elections near, both Modi and the BJP need to figure out how to woo voters in the south.
Your title of this article is a great “click-bait” ! It reads “No Traction for Modi is South”! But in the following paras, it states that in Kerala, very much in South, 34% were VERY SATISFIED with Modi’s performance Vs. 30% not satisfied! I wonder if that means “No Traction”?
Also, Pudicherry is ruled by NDA! Absolutely, NO Traction, isn’t it? In TN, only 40% are not satisfied with Modi! So, what about the remaining 60%? Yeah, isn’t 40 greater than 60?
So, much for your writers’ hate of Modi!May 20, 2022
It cannot be accepted that PM Modi is not enjoying support in the south. Among the reasons which have poised the minds of people include false propaganda, fake news, paid media and other factors. To cite an instance, which government in the history of India has given a free money of Rs 2.67 lakh to build affordable home for houseless people in the country. This has not been covered well in the media and yet to percolate down the level. The budget has allocated Rs 7.5 lakh crore for infrastructure development in the current year and several infra projects are under various stages of development. Herein the southern states benefits generating employment. All these aspects are not known to the common people. All they know and hear in wide circles are petty issues like caste division, religious animosity, petrol hike etc. A quantum of poison has been put around the people to tarnish the image of the greatest leader of India which the country is blessed after six decades of genocide rule. Which PM had the temerity to abrogate article 370? The nation knows, the world knows. Perpetrators of falsehood and fake news can enjoy for some time but not always and the people of the country knows the true value of our PM and the country that has been enjoying credibility and reputation among the countries in the world.May 20, 2022