Protecting Mental Health While Pregnant
NEW DELHI, (IANS) – While there is a probability of adverse mental health concerns in mothers during pregnancy, it is of chief importance that these symptoms can be managed.
* Seek prenatal care: Regular prenatal care is critical to identify mental health issues early on and provide support and resources to address them. Prenatal care can also ensure that both the mother and the baby are healthy throughout the pregnancy. Prenatal yoga is a powerful tool for managing depression. It can assist in elevating the mood during pregnancy and provide strength to the body, especially the pelvic floor, hip, and abdominal core muscles. It gives the mother a healthier pregnancy and research has confirmed that a healthy mother is more likely to have or give birth to a healthy baby.
* Increase awareness: It is important to take notice that you are facing mental health issues. It can be helpful to talk to a professional and help you deal with your specific issues.
* Practice positive self-talk: Sometimes writing a few positive affirmations and reading them aloud can help in uplifting the mind. It is significant that pregnant women should focus their attention on positive things.
* Communicate openly: Talking about what is causing you stress with your partner, family, friends, or a professional can help you understand your stressors and how you can manage them. It will also help your loved ones support you during this period. Having a strong support system during pregnancy can provide valuable emotional support and connection. Joining a support group for pregnant women can also provide a valuable source of support.
* Prioritize self-care: Taking care of oneself during pregnancy is essential to reduce stress and promote positive mental health. This can include getting enough rest, eating a healthy diet, and engaging in regular physical activity. Taking time for oneself to relax and engage in activities can also help reduce stress.
* Breathing exercises: You can try breathing exercises and help you calm yourself in times of stress and anxiety. You can also try mindfulness and meditation techniques to regulate your emotions.
* Seek professional help: If you are experiencing severe or persistent mental health issues during pregnancy, it’s essential to seek professional help. This can include therapy, medication, or a combination of both. Healthcare providers can help identify the best treatment options for individual needs.